Mulled Berry Soufflé
A classic soufflé with winter berry puree and mulled wine syrup.
- 300g Winter berry puree
- 50ml mulled wine syrup
- 6 RSPCA Free Range Egg Yolks 358230
- 100g/3½ oz caster sugar 320851
- 500ml/17½fl oz whole milk 354511
- 2 vanilla pods, split 187225
- 25g/1oz Country Range Plain Flour 140701
- 25g/1oz Cornflour 140131
- Softened Butter, to line molds 350130
- Caster sugar, to line molds 358230
- 12 RSPCA Free Range Egg Whites 358230
- Icing Sugar, to dust 320831
1) For the soufflé base, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until thick and creamy, using a hand or electric whisk.
2) Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the milk and vanilla pods together until boiling. Pour this over the whisked yolks and sugar and whisk in the flour and cornflour. Carefully remove the vanilla pods.
3) Pour this mixture into a large saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until thickened. Stir in fruit and syrup into the thickened mixture and allow to cool – this can be done the day before and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook the dish.
4) Preheat the oven to 240C/460F/Gas 8.
5) Line eight 8cm x 8cm (3in x 3in) ramekins by brushing with softened butter using a pastry brush or your fingers in an upward motion. Brush the butter into the ramekins in a second layer, then dust with caster sugar.
6) In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites using a hand-held electric mixer until the whisk leaves a light marked ribbon-like trail behind.
7) Add fruit base mixture and beat in half the whisked egg whites, before folding in the remainder.
8) Spoon into the prepared ramekins and cook for 7-8 minutes until risen. Dust with icing sugar and serve.