The Food for Life Served Here Award is an independent endorsement, backed by annual inspections, for food providers who are taking steps to improve the food they serve.
The aim of the scheme is to encourage and reward caterers who:
- Serve fresh food
- Source environmentally sustainable and ethical food
- Make healthy eating easy
- Champion local food producers
Food for Life Served Here
The scheme has published updated standards to its silver and gold awards that have been in effect since September 2018. Caterers will soon have additional options to choose from to achieve the silver or gold standards, these have been updated to ensure that the standards closely align with public health priorities.
They also ensure that caterers who are required to meet national guidelines at bronze, such as in schools and early years, are rewarded for the additional healthy eating steps they take at silver and gold.
The public health agenda is sharply focused on tackling obesity and encouraging healthy eating, under the revised standards, silver and gold award holders will demonstrate best practice in key areas such as the use of salt, sugar and wholemeal options.
What’s new at a glance?
- New ethical and environmentally friendly food standards to reward caterers who avoid, or use more sustainable palm oil and who serve organic fairly traded drinks
- Revised options have been added for caterers to gain points towards silver or gold by encouraging healthier choices through display and marketing
- Updated making healthy eating easy standards will be easier to understand